How to Deal with Unlicensed Moneylenders

The Singapore Police Force (SPF) is seriously reminding the public to stay away from unlicensed moneylenders. In colloquial term, unlicensed moneylenders or loan sharks are called Ah Long. SPF announced that harassments made by Ah Longs reduced since 2009. In the last three years, SPF managed to arrest a number of people for illegal money lending and harassment.  This is the proof that SPF is relentless to tackle the situation and eradicate the menace caused by these people.


Loansharking is the business of lending money at extremely high interest rates. This is illegal. Since this is illegal, you should not participate by lending money. SPF is doing its best to tackle the problem but it will not end as long as the public welcomes Ah Longs in their homes. If you are dealing with difficult times, do not consider Ah Longs. Here are some avenues of help that you can consider:

  • Family Service Centre (FSC)

The FSC can be a great help for families dealing with debts and gambling problems. This is not a financial or banking institution but the organization will help families with their debts by providing counselling. You can call them at 1800-222-0000.

  • Credit Counselling Singapore

If you need of credit counselling, you should look for Credit Counselling Singapore. The organization will help you with your credit issues. Do not hesitate to ask for help. You can call them at 1800-225-5227 for more information.

  • National Council on Problem Gambling (NCPG)

The NCPG is an institution that can help you with your gambling problems. Dealing with gambling problems is not easy. You need all the help you can get before you lose everything you own at the end of the day. You can call them at 1800-6-668-668.

  • National Addictions Management Service (NAMS)

NAMS will help you with your addictions. You need people that can understand you and help you to be better. You can call them at 6-6732-6837. Do not hesitate to come to them for help.

If you have information about loansharking activities, you should call the police. You can reach them at 1800-255-000 or you can simply dial 999 if you need immediate assistance. If you are worried that Ah Longs will get back on you, do not worry because the police can keep it confidential. You only need to call the NCPC (National Crime Prevention Council) number at 1800-924-5664.

The best way to keep away from Ah Longs is not to deal with them at all. They may provide easy solutions to your money problems but you have to think of what it will cost you.