The very first relationship you ever encountered was not with your first love but with your parents. The relationship formed from the moment you were conceived and it will continue until you age. As is with any relationship, the relationship with your parents will change as time goes by. One moment you see yourself curled up on the sofa with mom then the next arguing with her because she won’t permit you to have tattoos or piercings.
The sad thing is that as children grow, the relationship with parents will have gaps and bridging it can be challenging. Remember that while you are busy growing up, your parents are also getting older. Do not wait for them to grow very old before appreciating their worth. The good news here is that you can harness your relationship with parents after spending some time in the adult world. Relationship with parents actually gets better as you age.
Here are some reasons why your relationship with parents gets batter as you age:
You can finally see your parents for who they really are. In your teen years here in Singapore, you spend more time outside and avoiding your parents because you do not enjoy their company and their wisdom. The best thing about spending some time in the adult world is that you can see your parents for who they really are. Your parents are not perfect and so are you. They too made mistakes and you will realize that their wisdoms are only fitting. Sharing the hard parts of life together with parents will make life easier and lighter for you.
You will finally appreciate why they are worried about you. Growing up, checking in with parents seem like a heavy chore and not necessary. You just continue to come home late without thinking of your parents getting worried and overdoing it. When you finally have your children or even husband, you will appreciate why they are worried about you when they come home late. Worrying for someone the whole night is really awful and you will finally understand the feeling.
You will realize suddenly that their advices make sense now. During your teen years, you are annoyed when parents threw advices all the time. Admit it or not, you shrugged off many advices because you think you know everything. When the time comes that you are faced with a situation and remembered the advices your parents gave while you were young, that’s the time that you will realize it makes sense now.
You do not live in a perfect society. As much as you want to like all people, it doesn’t work that way. There will always be ill-mannered people that you have to live with. If only there is a way to gather all rude people and let them live on one island together so you do not have to bear with one or more of them.
That is not possible. You have to focus on the things that you can control. You can actually deal with these ill-mannered people the smart way. Here’s how:
- Remember rudeness doesn’t mean they are a bad person. There are bad days and sometimes you cope up by being rude or ill-mannered. That is normal. Even the kindest people have rude moments at some point in their lives but this does not mean that they are a bad person the moment they burst out. The best thing to deal with ill-mannered people is to remember that they are human and that is normal.
- Even if it is personal, do not take it personally. Sometimes it is easy to take the bait when someone is rude or ill-mannered and react especially if it becomes too personal. You can burst out and make a scene but that will reflect poorly on you. If someone is ill-mannered, you have the choice how to react.
- Find the reason why they acted that way. There is always a reason why someone acted that way. You have to find the reason why they acted that way and perhaps they just did not realize their manners. Do not end the day without asking why. Just be calm and you can just say “I think that is rude. Why are you being like this?”
- Don’t let yourself be absorbed by the drama. It is just too easy to join the drama when you see yourself at the center. If you join in the drama, it will only make things worse. Sometimes it is easy to react when you are provoked but make sure that you will not regret it. Just think of your words and actions first before anything else.
- Walk away. Walking away may be the smartest thing that you can do when you face rude people. Ill-manners are painful enough and removing yourself from that situation is the surest way to avoid escalating it. Even if they are still talking, turn your back and walk away. Perhaps they will realize what they have done when you are nowhere in sight.
If the rudeness becomes a habit, it is difficult to shake it off. Whether many Singaporeans are ill-mannered or not, how to respond will definitely be up to you.
Men’s accessories and fashion are often more expensive than your own – and perhaps you already bought him everything that you could possibly afford without going into the cheesy route. But now that his birthday is fast approaching, what better gift to give than something you personally made. With that in mind, we listed down some of the unique homemade gift ideas that will surely sweep your guy off his feet.
- Love Coupons
Perhaps one of the most cost-effective and creative homemade birthday gift you could give your beau are love coupons. These slips can range from a simple “hug voucher” to a “whatever you want coupon” applicable for a certain period of time. All that you need for this gift idea is a stack of cardboards, colourful pens, scissors and some sense of humour.
- Candy Jars
Got a guy who loves sweets? Then this homemade gift idea is perfect for you. The jar doesn’t necessarily have to only contain candies. You can actually fill it with any treat that your boyfriend loves. But some extra Hershey Kisses chocolate could be a nice incentive, especially if he’s currently away from home. Every Kisses can represent your own sweet kisses until you see each other again.
- Mix Tapes
Mix tapes are considered as one of the oldest gifts around, but it’s also touted as one of the most sentimental. Simply compile all your favourite songs together using a stop-and-record method. Also, don’t forget to provide a cassette player if your guy doesn’t have one. Trust us, he might see you as a dork for the gift, but he’ll also find you adorable for doing it.
- Cool Cufflinks
Every man should have a pair of cufflinks that best represents his personality and sense of style. You can reuse an old cufflink from your grandfather’s closet or from an antique store, and replace its main decoration with something that best suits your guy’s personality. Just be extra careful in using a glue-gun as it can easily burn your fingers.
- Birthday Cake
What better way to celebrate his day than with a homemade birthday cake? Purchasing a cake can be quite expensive, and it’ll certainly take the uniqueness out of your creation. Just remember to read the baking instructions careful, get all the right supplies ready and create something that your man will, without a doubt, fall in love with.
Coming up with a personalized birthday gift idea might take some extra time and planning, but it’s all worth it in the end. Remember that as long as you made it with love, and you have a guy who’s not only interest in designer labels, he’ll see you as the best girlfriend ever for another whole year.
Home painting business has become quite popular in Singapore and because of that it’s quite difficult to get the attention of the prospective customers due to the abundance of competitors in the field. So, here are some effective techniques that can help you in promoting your painting business and get the attention of your potential customers:
1. Order and create advertising materials. One good advertising material that can possibly work well would be producing T-shirts that have your business logo and phone number as well. Other than that, you can also make small yard signs or produce business cards if you haven’t done it yet. Another option is to design a flier that contains all the important information about your home painting business like your contact number and the kind of painting services that you have. If you’re having some trouble designing or producing one then you can ask a local print shop in your area in Singapore to make one flier for you.
2. Place a business sign in your completed project. You can ask your customers if it’s possible for you to place your business sign in their yard while you’re getting your painting job done. Aside from that, you can also give them one of your shirts when your job has been completed since making your previous and current customers wear a shirt that has your company’s logo and phone number can be a good way to advertise your business at a minimum cost or for free.
3. Place fliers in places that are easily seen. You can talk to some of the local realtors in Singapore and ask them if you can put a flier in the welcome basket that they usually give to their new homeowners. Establishing a good relationship with some contractors can also be a good idea since they can help in promoting your house painting business to some prospective customers. Other than that, you can also advertise your company as the best hdb painting service in Singapore by sponsoring some sports events in your area. Being a sponsor in such events can actually give you a great exposure that can be helpful for your business.
4. Put an ad in your local newspaper. Putting up an ad in a local newspaper in your area in Singapore can also be a good idea to advertise your business and get the attention of your prospective customers. But before planning on placing an ad in the newspaper, you should first be aware of the time which has the highest number of readership. Also, ask the person in-charge of placing the ads in the newspaper to place your ads in the special sections of the paper so that you can attract more potential customers.
5. Go online. Another way to effectively advertise your business is by creating a page for your home painting business in some social networking sites. This is one of the inexpensive and easy ways to promote your business. Plus, joining these sites can also help in making it easier for your customers to know of the painting services that you’re offering.
These are just some of advertising ideas that you can actually do to effectively promote your home painting business against your competitors in the field of house painting business.
One thing that puts some women off skin care is its complexity. There’s just plenty of products to choose from, which can be quite overwhelming if you’re not sure about what product to buy. To help ease your confusion in choosing the right product to buy, we listed down some of the important anti-aging ingredients you should look for while shopping, particularly if you plan on keeping your youthful glow.
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids
Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) is an acid that exfoliate the outermost layer of the skin to reveal a smoother and revitalized complexion. In most skincare products, AHA takes the form of lactic acid, glycolic acid and mandelic acid. Products containing such acids perform best in acidic pH levels, and when they’re formulated well, they’ll certainly pack a good punch.
Hydroquinone goes a long way when it comes to evening out blotches, sun spots and mottled skin. This skin lightener fades hyperpigmentation away by blocking the enzymes that trigger melanin production in the skin. Using a product with a four percent hydroquinone formula is already enough to fade blotches away, but pairing it with a 0.5 percent retinoid will give you faster and better whitening results.
You can always rely on the powers of niacinamide when it comes to solving issues like skin dullness and hyperpigmentation. This skincare ingredient aids in preventing the biggest issues of aging skin, such as elasticity and moisture loss, which contributes to the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Niacinamide works best in higher concentrations, so if it’s included in the ingredient list of a particular product, consider giving it a shot.
Known as a form of vitamin A, retinol helps in boosting your skin’s collagen production, leaving you with better skin tone, texture and immunity against skin irritants. Although it’s a must-have ingredient in your anti-aging product, be careful in choosing your retinol though, because using a strong retinol product might cause your skin to peel and purge at the initial stages.
- Vitamin C
Still have the acne scars brought by your teenage years? Then be sure to include a vitamin C or an ascorbic acid serum in your skincare routine. Making vitamin C a staple in your routine won’t only help in fading acne scars, it’ll also make your skin more resistant to sun damage to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles overtime.
Knowing what ingredients your anti-aging product should contain will surely help in slowing the effects of time on your skin. So be sure to keep your eyes on these ingredients the next time you shop for your skincare products.
There’s a myriad of decisions to make when planning a wedding, and one of them is choosing the bridesmaid dresses. You will have to decide for the colour, the material, the length, the price point, and the style of the dresses. And while doing that, you have to keep in mind that they should look cohesive together.
While you’re on track of planning for your bridesmaid dresses, it comes in handy to know what styles your girls may not like to wear. After all, they are your friend, and you want them to feel and look their best on this very special day.
1. Dresses That Look the Same
Fortunately, bridesmaid dresses today no longer have to be identical. If we think about it, women don’t find it fun to match their friend’s outfit—same goes with your bridesmaids. Leave the matchy-matchy trend to the flower girls, and let each of your bridesmaids shine in their own unique and gorgeous dresses.
2. Dresses That Cost an Arm and a Leg
Even if it’s the most stunning collection of bridesmaid dresses, you will get a giant pout on your bridesmaids’ faces if they have to spend a third of this month’s paycheck for their dress, especially if it’s a dress they can’t wear again. As an alternative, look for couture dresses in a bridal boutique that your girls can rent for a day instead. You can spend a fortune on your own wedding dress if you want, but don’t impose the same on your bridesmaids.
3. Dresses That are Too Short
Other than possibly making your girls feel uncomfortable, there are several reasons why you should avoid hemlines that are too short. First of all, if it’s going to be a church wedding, dresses from a bridal studio in Singapore that are cut mid-thigh is not respectful on the wedding’s religious aspect. Secondly, dresses that are too short will likely draw unwanted attention, particularly here in Singapore. And lastly, when bridesmaid dresses are too short, it can take away the attention from the bride.
4. Dresses That Do Not Fit Well
The dress should have some shape to it. Everyone’s body is unique, so the best you can do is to let your bridesmaids choose the right dress for them. Most likely, they know what their body shape is and are aware of the dress styles that flatter them the most. You can also ask the consultant in the bridal boutique for dress suggestions for your maids.
5. Dresses That Are Too Trendy
That off-shoulder dress or one-shoulder gown may look striking on one of your bridesmaids, but the others are probably silently dreading it right now. According to bridal studio consultants, it’s best to avoid hard-to-pull-off dress styles, such as fitted gowns and halter dresses. Other no-nos include puffy shoulders, tutu-like skirts, and lace ruffles to name a few. Try to avoid dress styles that are far outside your bridesmaids’ comfort zone to ensure they feel and look their best.
6. Dresses That Are Too Glitzy
By glitzy, we mean hideous looking prom dresses that are decked with sequins and patterns all over them. If you’re unsure of your chosen bridesmaid dress style, it could probably pass as Halloween costume. When choosing dresses, keep in mind that less is more. It’s always safer to go with simple and sleek styles than with elaborate and flashy ones.
Tips for Better Bridesmaid Dress Shopping
• Be Upfront About Budgets. Don’t put off having this conversation among your girls. This will help determine where you should shop at. Luckily, bridesmaids today have a variety of great options at any price points.
• Do Advance Research. Know what dress style to look for before making appointments in any bridal studio in Singapore—it’ll make dress shopping much easier. Every dress style can be seen online, so researching is easy (and fun!) and will save you a lot of time later.
• Spare Plenty of Time. Unless you’re buying off-the-rack dresses, you need at least three months from when you place your order to when you’ll pick them up. Order for the entire party must also be made at once to ensure quality control.
• Have Your Ladies Professionally Measured. It’s important to provide your bridesmaids’ exact measurements in order to avoid last-minute problems. Although many boutiques in Singapore have their staff measure your bridesmaids, they are not seamstresses. Especially when ordering online, a measurement made by a professional is crucial to get the perfect dresses for your girls.
• Set Multiple Appointments at the Studio. Don’t bring all of your bridesmaids into the bridal studio the first time you shop for their dresses. Instead go with one or two of your maids and let them help you narrow down your choices. Once you have found a few styles, have the consultant set them aside. Then, bring the rest of the girls on your next appointment to decide.
• Inquire About Extra Length. If one of your bridesmaids stand 5’7” or above, she might need some extra length for her long dress, especially if she’ll be wearing heels. During the initial fitting, ask your maids to bring their heels with them to help with the dresses’ adjustments. But also keep in mind that there’s often an additional cost associated with these special adjustments.
Just like looking for your wedding dress, shopping in a bridal boutique for your bridesmaid dresses needs time and patience. But if after all the effort there are still people you cannot please, don’t give in to pressure to make everyone happy. Keep in mind that it is your special day and it should be going to be about you. Your bridesmaids are there to support you and (ideally) work with you to make things a lot easier.
As far as do-it-yourself jobs go, plumbing works rank as one of the top tasks homeowners in Singapore prefer to handle on their own. Some people may argue that calling a professional is expensive and should only be done when all else fails, while others just don’t trust strangers to enter their homes. These may all be valid reasons, but when thinking of the possibility of worsening the plumbing scenario, hiring a professional is unarguably a much cheaper option than overhauling underground water pipes.
1. Personal Safety
The most obvious reason why you need to trust your home’s plumbing works only to a professional plumber is your own safety. You may be successful in replacing a shower head or sink faucet, but plumbing needs skills and training to be successfully done.
2. Permanent Solution
Unless you find pleasure in crawling under sinks and doing all the dirty works to repeatedly unclog the drains, you will appreciate the long-term solution that a reliable plumber can provide to your plumbing system. The thing about these good plumbing contractors in Singapore is that they are well-trained and well-experienced and they find ways to ensure that you don’t get repeated problems after the repair.
3. Comprehensive Plumbing Services
Hiring a professional plumber gives you access to a wide range of plumbing services for installation, maintenance and repair works. Installation of new pipes, replacement of old parts, spotting blockages, repairing leaks—they can professionally handle all those works in a faster and more efficient way.
4. Emergency Plumbing Issues
Your plumbing contractor can save you from emergency plumbing problems. Emergencies with your plumbing system can cause delay to your daily activities, as well as cause extensive water damage. A professional plumber can provide emergency plumbing services and can come to your rescue quickly. As long as you hire a 24 hours plumber, you can be certain that someone can fix your emergency whether it’s three in the afternoon or three in the morning.
5. Detailed Diagnosis
A professional plumber will provide you with detailed diagnostic report. What appears to you as just a leaking pipe could be a blockage problem. That’s why you need a professional to have your line thoroughly inspected. Well-trained plumbers can carefully check your entire plumbing system to find all existing and potential problems.
You don’t have to purchase DIY remedies, like sealants. Leaky toilets, faucets and other plumbing fixtures waste a lot of water, which would cost you more on your water bill. Hiring a professional plumber will guarantee savings in your water bill when leaks are repaired right away. Moreover, your hired professionals will be the ones to purchase the necessary fixtures, which will likely be cost-effective for you.
7. Property Protection
Accidents caused by broken pipes could cause damages to your property. Whether it’s a leaking gas pipe or water pipe, letting the professionals take care of the job will help you protect your property and minimize damages. Plus, if you hire a licensed and insured plumber in Singapore, you can be sure that any property damage incurred during the repair is covered by the plumbing company.
8. Latest Equipment
Recognized plumbing companies are equipped with the newest technology and equipment to solve plumbing problems in an efficient and timely manner. Aside from the latest equipment, staffs undergo regular training to update their knowledge and skills in dealing with different issues.
9. Business Continuity
Having your system regularly checked by a professional plumber will keep your plumbing system running and help detect problems in their early stage before they can wreak havoc to your day-to-day routine and to your properties. This helps avoid interruptions and ensures that your everyday activities run smoothly.
10. Clean Water Supply
Since tubes and pipes are the pathways of your home’s water supply, you need them to be in their best working condition. If you suspect any leaking, cracks or blockages, have it checked by a professional. Your hired plumber can check your water lines to detect and fix any issues right away. With their certified skills and the right tools, you can be sure that your drinking water is clean and free from contaminants.
11. Excellent Customer Service
A reliable plumber is able to provide excellent customer service and responsive plumbing team whenever needed. If you have had a repair or maintenance done by a professional plumbing services company, you can have access to expert advices if you come across another plumbing issue or emergency. If it’s only a minor issue, they can provide you with advices on how to correct the small glitch. Your professionals will be there for you, helping and guiding you in maintaining your plumbing system.
12. Masters of Their Own Field
The head of the team has extensive knowledge, training and experience. From installation of parts to repairing pipes and other problems, a professional plumber has the right skills to ensure that the issue is fixed on the first try with permanent results.
When you choose to do the repair on your own, it’s likely because you’re trying to save time and money. Unfortunately, DIY plumbing works usually cost more not only due to possible mistakes while doing the repair, but also because DIY works do not provide permanent solution. If you hire a licensed professional in the first place, you will minimize additional expenses and errors as they have the right tools and knowledge for the job.
Almost all Singaporeans are familiar with Facebook and its entire features. In the past, we only rely to “like” to express a feeling. However, the company realized that people need to express feelings more specifically so they provided a broader range of emotions. The emotions are called “reaction”. Many Facebook users find this appealing. In fact, this is better than the “like” button.
If you haven’t tried the “reactions”, try pressing the “like” button long then a pop-up will appear featuring six animated emoji. The “reactions” include Like, Love, Wow, Haha, Sad and Angry. What urged the company to provide a wide range of emotions for their users? According to the product manager Sammi Krug, many people wants to express more than just “like”. What about things that make people sad, angry or happy?
People said that the “like” doesn’t feel right. It would be good to express sadness or sympathy. There is no way to show it thus the “reaction” button. With this new addition, emojis are taking the world by storm. Its use increased together with the increase of smartphone users. Of the 41 billion text messages sent every day, six billion are emojis. This gives us a picture that emojis are slowly becoming the global language.
In the past, English is the universal language but emojis actually surpass it. In fact, according to the Newcastle Herald report, English is no longer the universal messaging language. Why is this? You should know that 70% of meaning is derived from spoken language which originates from nonverbal cues such as facial expression and body language.
Of many emojis, how did Facebook manage to identify six? It is important that emojis are understood universally and that is where Facebook started. The company did a global research that sought to find alternatives of “like”. They had surveys and focus groups discussion from different countries like Colombia, Japan, Spain and Ireland. The researchers eventually revealed that the six “reactions” emojis were chosen because of their appeal not to mention that the symbols are understood in the world.
Facebook only meant well when they thought about the universal emoji however there are certain governments or organizations that did not seem to like it. Belgium is actually warning its people of emojis not to use it heavily as it is Facebook’s way of spying and selling information to other third party organizations.
Whether you often use emojis or not, the fact remains that it added spice to our conversations. The important thing here is we understand each other and that is more than enough.
Sleep is an important part of our life. Without it, we will not function properly. In the case of China, children are given time to sleep during their breaks as it can form part of their physical and mental development. Here, some schools also do the same. Countries around the world differ in how they sleep.
Researchers of the University of Michigan conducted a study that aimed at discovering the sleeping patterns of the world. The data that they collected was derived from a sleep-tracking smartphone application that was launched in 2014. More than five thousand people from twenty countries participated in the research.
Gathering data about the sleeping patterns of people has always been a challenge. This is because researchers think that when they personally ask people, they tend to under or over report. If a research should be made, people should actually sleep in the lab but then researchers think that when they sleep at the lab would it be like how they sleep back at their home?
With the coming of smartphones and other wearable devices, gathering sleeping patterns around the world has become more reliable and easier.
Average number of hours slept every night by countries
On average, Singaporeans sleep 7.4 hours, Japanese sleep 7.51 hours, Brazilians sleep 7.57 hours, Germans sleep 7.7 hours, Hong Kong citizens sleep 7.77 hours, Mexicans sleep 7.79 hours, people from Denmark sleep 7.81 hours, Swiss sleeps 7.84 hours, Spaniards sleep 7.84 hours, Chinese sleep 7.86 hours, Americans sleep 7.87 hours, Italians sleep 7.88 hours, British sleep 7.9 hours, people from United Arab Emirates sleep 7.95 hours, Canadians sleep 7.97 hours, people from Belgium sleep 8.02 hours, Australians sleep 8.02 hours, French sleep 8.05 hours, New Zealanders sleep 8.07 hours and Dutch sleep 8.09 hours.
Notice that Singaporeans sleep lesser hours compared to other countries and Dutch people sleep more.
Average number of hours slept every night by gender and age-group
On average, women sleep more than men regardless of the age group. Women 20 to 25 years old sleep 8.25 hours compared to men with only 8 hours. Women between 30 to 35 years old sleep an average of 8.12 hours while men sleep 7.75 hours. Women between 40 to 45 years old sleep 8.10 hours while men sleep 7.60 hours. Women between 50 to 55 years old sleep 8 hours while men sleep 7.25 hours. Women between 60 to 65 years old sleep 8.10 hours while men sleep 7.80 hours.
Notice that as you age, the less sleep you get but in the case of women, they will not go below an average of 8 hours of sleep every night.
Every year, many Singaporeans get sick because of food poisoning and other food-related illnesses. It is difficult to battle it since harmful contaminants are invisible – it cannot be seen, tasted, touched or even smelled. The single most thing that you can do is to ensure that the internal cooking temperature parameter is observed.
Foods should meet internal temperature to ensure that it can be consumed safely. Knowing this, you have to protect the family against food poisoning using a food thermometer. Food thermometer can help you determine whether the cooked food reached its safe cooking temperature. Food thermometers are readily available here so you won’t have a hard time looking for it.
Using it is pretty simply, you just need to pierce it through the cooked meat, seafood or poultry after the cooking time (make sure to remove it from the fire). If it did not reach a specific temperature, it means it needs more cooking and heating. Make sure to choose digital food thermometers since their readings are more accurate than others.
Here are the internal cooking temperature parameters:
- Meat: The temperature will depend on the doneness. For example, the temperature of the medium rare beef should be 63°C or about 145°F. The medium beef is 71°C or 160°F while the well done beef should be at least 77°C or about 170°F. For pork products like pork loin, ham and ribs, the temperature should be at least 71°C or 160°C.
- Poultry: For poultry products like chicken, duck and turkey, the temperature should be at least 74°C or 165°F for pieces and 82°C or 180°F for whole. For egg dishes, the temperature should be at least 74°C or 165°F.
- Seafood: Fishes should be at least 70°C or 158°F while shellfishes (like lobster, scallops, oysters and shrimp) should be at least 74°C or 165°F. Since it is hard to pierce thermometer, just discard shellfishes that do not open after cooking.
Now that you know the internal cooking temperature parameters, you have to know the recommended storage time as well as it is part of ensuring safe consumption of food. The recommended storage time for steaks is three to four days, chops on the other hand should only be stored for three to four days, roasts are three to five days, hotdog is one week and ham is six to seven days.
It does not end there because there are still many things that you can do to ensure the safety of food consumed. Never forget to wash hands and sanitize tools and utensils. These activities can help eradicate bacteria thereby reducing the risk of food poisoning and other food-related illnesses.